Palace of Holyroodhouse Tickets
We use a secure connection for our checkout process.
Palace of Holyroodhouse Tickets
Book Palace of Holyroodhouse tickets and take a self-guided tour of The Queen’s official residence in Scotland.
Best-known as the home of Mary, Queen of Scots, the Palace of Holyroodhouse stands at the end of Edinburgh's Royal Mile and is set against the spectacular backdrop of Arthur's Seat.
You’ll discover the Palace’s close association with Scotland's rich history, particularly many of the dramatic episodes in Mary’s short but turbulent reign.
Mary was married at Holyroodhouse and it was here that she witnessed the brutal killing of her secretary Rizzio by her jealous second husband, Lord Darnley, in her private apartments.
Explore the State Apartments
Renowned for their unrivalled collection of magnificent tapestries, today the State Apartments are used by The Queen for official ceremonies and entertaining.
Your self-guided audio tour will reveal how these Royal Apartments reflect the changing tastes of successive monarchs, with their finely detailed ceilings and magnificent furnishings.
You’ll get to see one of the most famous rooms in the Palace, the Great Gallery, which is hung with Jacob de Wet's portraits of real and legendary Kings of Scotland.
Add The Queen’s Gallery to your tour!
Book the “Queen's Gallery Ticket” in addition to your Palace of Holyroodhouse tickets and you’ll also be able to explore the fabulous exhibitions from the Royal Collection!
- Culture Vultures
The Palace is located in Canongate, The Royal Mile, EH8 8DX
- Open daily, except 25-26 December
- Please Note: Opening dates may change at short notice, so please check The Royal Collection Trust's website for the latest closing dates before your visit
Palace of Holyroodhouse Opening dates & times:
- November to March: 9.30am – 4.30pm (last admission 3.15pm)
- April to October: 9.30am – 6pm (last admission 4.30pm)
The Queen's Gallery Opening dates & times:
- November to March: 9.30am – 4.30pm (last admission 3.30pm)
- April to October: 9.30am – 6pm (last admission 5pm)
- Early Closures: 24 December closes at 3.30pm (last admission 2.30pm), 31 December closes at 4pm (last admission 3pm) and 1 January opens 11am.
- Manual wheelchairs are available to borrow free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Mobility scooters can be used in the Palace grounds and in the Palace providing they are compatible with the lift (108cm depth x 107cm width, weight limit 375kg)
Multimedia guides are included, available in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian and Mandarin.
Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 17.
- Food and drinks
- Transport to the palace
Important – Security information:
For safety reasons, you may be required to deposit any baggage and other items into the security cloakrooms during your visit.
Important: During admission to the attraction, all visitors will pass through airport-style security checks. Visitors should arrive with one small bag where possible to ensure an efficient entry process.
The nearest train station is Edinburgh Waverley. The Palace is a 15-minute walk from the station.
Numbers 6 and 35 stop near the Palace
- Postcode for Sat Nav: EH8 8DX
- The nearest car park is just adjacent to the Palace.