Barcelona to Montserrat Tour
We use a secure connection for our checkout process.
Barcelona to Montserrat Tour – Intro
This fascinating tour takes you from Barcelona to Montserrat, home to a majestic 4,051ft mountain and the Royal Basilica of Montserrat which contains the famous 12th century Romanesque carving of the Black Virgin.
Barcelona to Montserrat Tour – Overview
- Travel from Barcelona by air-conditioned motorcoach on an exciting half-day tour.
- Head 4,051ft above sea level up Montserrat mountain.
- Visit the Benedict sanctuary and Royal Basilica of Montserrat.
- Experience the “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat” – a new audiovisual space in the monastery
- Sample 4 delicious liquors produced solely in Montserrat.
- Plus: Choose the Montserrat with Cog Wheel Train ticket option to ascend Montserrat mountain on the famous Cog Wheel Train!
Barcelona to Montserrat Tour – Full Details
After meeting your guide and the rest of your tour group, you’ll board the coach to begin the drive through charming villages and stunning scenery to Montserrat from Barcelona.
You’ll ascend 4,051ft above sea level to magnificent Montserrat mountain – a spot which offers breathtaking views over the surrounding area.
Visit the Benedict sanctuary of Montserrat, which was founded in 1025 and provides a mystical backdrop to the Virgin of Montserrat, the patron saint of Catalonia who is enshrined in the monastery's Royal Basilica.
Home to the 12th-century Virgen Moreneta (Black Virgin) carving, this little monastery has been one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Spain for centuries, as visitors spread stories of miracles performed by the Virgin.
Today, Montserrat has been modernised to continue attending to the needs to pilgrims 1000 years after it was originally founded.
On certain days of the week, the Basilica’s children choir sing in the monastery and if the timing is right, you may even be lucky enough to catch a performance!
This tour also includes entry to “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat”: This new audiovisual space reflects the monastery’s will to respond to the thousands of visitors and pilgrims who are interested in learning about Montserrat and its significance.
You’ll also have the opportunity to taste 4 local liquors produced solely in Montserrat.
Cog Wheel Train Ride
Choose the Afternoon Tour to Montserrat with Cog Wheel Train ticket option and ascend the towering Montserrat mountain on a cog-wheel train.
This spectacular journey is filled with photo-opportunities as the train follows the twists and turns of the mountain.
Years of exposure to the elements have formed strange and varied shapes from the rocks on the mountain, and popular local legends lend their shapes to animals or even people.
The trains have panoramic windows, are air-conditioned and are completely wheelchair-friendly.
- Culture Vultures
Afternoon Tour to Montserrat – Key Info
- Daily, all year round
- Departure Time:
- Morning Tour to Montserrat: 9.30
- Afternoon Tour to Montserrat with Cog Wheel Train: 3pm during the summer (April to October) and 2.15pm during the winter (November to March)
- Please ensure that you are at the departure point at least 15 minutes before the departure time.
- Morning Tour to Montserrat: Approx 5½ hours
- Afternoon Tour to Montserrat with Cog Wheel Train: Approx 4½ hours
- Departure Location:
- The tour departs from Calle Balmes 5, Barcelona.
- What to Wear:
- Please note that correct dress (knees and shoulder covered) is required to enter the monastery
- The Cog Wheel trains are completely wheelchair-friendly
- Transport by air-conditioned motorcoach.
- Multilingual official guide.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors
- Entry to the audiovisual “Espai Audiovisual Montserrat”
- Cog Wheel Train Ride (with afternoon ticket only)
- Not Included:
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Food and drinks